Learning Center: Professional Literature
Note: Most links to journal articles go to the PubMed page at the National Library of Medicine's website. If you or your organization has a license for the publication, or if the publisher has made it available online, you will be able to view the full text of the article. In most cases, PubMed will at least provide an abstract of the article.
- Unprotected Sexual Behavior and HIV Risk in the Context of Primary Partnerships for Transgender Women
Operario D, Nemoto T, Iwamoto M, et al. AIDS Behav . 2010 Aug 26.
- A Mixed Methods Study of the Sexual Health Needs of New England Transmen Who Have Sex with Nontransgender Men
Reisner SL, Perkovich B, Mimiaga MJ. AIDS Patient Care STDS . 2010 Aug;24(8):501-13.
- HIV Risk and Social Networks among Male-To-Female Transgender Sex Workers in Boston, Massachusetts
Reisner SL, Mimiaga MJ, Bland S, et al. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):373-86.
- Risk Behaviors and Psychosocial Stressors in the New York City House Ball Community: A Comparison of Men and Transgender Women Who Have Sex with Men
Sanchez T, Finlayson T, Murrill C, et al. AIDS Behav . 2010 Apr;14(2):351-8.
- Moving Forward: Transgender Persons as Change Agents in Health Care Access and Human Rights
Cobos DG, Jones J. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):341-7.
- "I Don't Think This Is Theoretical; This Is Our Lives": How Erasure Impacts Health Care for Transgender People
Bauer GR, Hammond R, Travers R, et al. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):348-61.
- Transitioning Into Competent Health and HIV Care for Transgender Persons
Phillips JC, Patsdaughter CA. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):335-8.
- "There's No Pamphlet for the Kind of Sex I Have": HIV-Related Risk Factors and Protective Behaviors Among Transgender Men Who Have Sex with Nontransgender Men
Sevelius J. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):398-410.
- Improving the Health of Transgender People: Transgender Medical Education in Arizona
Vanderleest JG, Galper CQ. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care . 2009 Sep-Oct;20(5):411-6.
- Exploring HIV Prevention Utilization Among Female Sex Workers and Male-to-Female Transgenders
Harawa NT, Bingham TA. AIDS Educ Prev . 2009 Aug;21(4):356-71.
- Lifetime Risk Factors for HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Male-to-Female Transgender Persons
Nuttbrock L, Hwahng S, Bockting W, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr . 2009 Jun 22.
- La Atención a la Salud en Brasil a Partir de la Percepción de Travestis, Transexuales y Transgéneros
Rocha KB, Barbosa LHR, Barboza CZ, et al. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung . 2009 May;Volume(10):No.2:Art.28.
- Informing Interventions: The Importance of Contextual Factors in the Prediction of Sexual Risk Behaviors Among Transgender Women
Sevelius JM, Grinstead Reznick O, Hart SL, Schwarcz S. AIDS Education and Prevention . 2009 Apr;21(2):113-127.
- Transgender Female Youth and Sex Work
Wilson EC, Garofalo R, Harris RD, et al. AIDS Behav . 2009
- Sex Work in Mexico: Vulnerability of Male, Travesti, Transgender and Transsexual Sex Workers
Infante C, Sosa-Rubi SG, Cuadra SM. Cult Health Sex. 2009 Jan;12:1-12.
- HIV Risk Behaviors Among Mahuwahine (Native Hawaiian Transgender Women)
Ellingson L, Odo C. AIDS Educ Prev . 2008 Dec;20(6):558-69.
- Correlates and Prevalence of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Hijras (Male Transgenders) in Pakistan
Khan AA, Rehan N, Qayyum K, et al. Int J STD AIDS . 2008 Dec;19(12):817-20.Click here to read
- HIV-Related Needs for Safety Among Male-to-Female Transsexuals (Mak Nyah) in Malaysia
Koon Teh Y. Sahara J . 2008 Dec;5(4):178-85
- Estimating HIV Prevalence and Risk Behaviors of Transgender Persons in the United States: A Systematic Review
Herbst JH, Jacobs ED, Finlayson TJ, et al. AIDS Behav. 2008 Jan;12(1):1-17.
- Men Who Have Sex with Transgender Women: Challenges to Category-based HIV Prevention
Operario D, Burton J, Underhill K, Sevelius J. AIDS Behav. 2008 Jan;12(1):18-26.
- Overlooked, misunderstood and at-risk: Exploring the lives and HIV risk of ethnic minority male-to female transgender youth
Garofalo R, Deleon J, Osmer E, Doll M, Harper GW. J Adolesc Health. 2006; 38(3): 230-236.
- 'It's really a hard life': Love, Gender and HIV Risk Among Male-to-Female Transgender Persons
Melendez RM, Pinto R. Cult Health Sex. 2007 May-Jun;9(3):233-45.
- The Impact of Exposure to Transphobia on HIV Risk Behavior in a Sample of Transgendered Women of Color in San Francisco
Sugano E, Nemoto T, Operario D. AIDS Behav. 2006 Mar;10(2):217-25.
- HIV-Related Tuberculosis in a Transgender Network -- Baltimore, Maryland, and New York City Area, 1998 - 2000
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR 2000;49:317-320.
- Rapid HIV Testing in Transgender Communities by Community-Based Organizations in Three Cities
Schulden JD, Song B, Barros A, et al. Public Health Rep . Nov-Dec;123 Suppl 3:101-14, 2008.
- Who is Being Served?
HIV Prevention Utilization among Transgender Women in Los Angeles County, Harawa NT. November 2008
- Assessing Progress, Advancing Excellence: Serving Transgender People in California
The Center of Excellence for Transgender Health, November 2008.
- What are Male-to-Female Transgender Persons' (MtF) HIV Prevention Needs?
Keatley J, Bockting W. Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS), September 2008.
- Transgender Identity and HIV: Resilience in the Face of Stigma
Bockting, WO. Focus . Spring 2008;32(2)1-4
- Outside the Box: HIV Prevention with Hard-to-Categorize People
Operario D. Focus . Spring 2008;32(2)5-7
- Hits 2003
A hits survey to better understand current HIV testing and sex-work-related HIV risk among female and transgender sex workers in Los Angeles County, Harawa NT. May 2005.
- Safer Sex Post-SRS: A brave new world, indeed
Jones L. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.
- The Invisible: A quick looks at the HIV/AIDS epidemic in a group often overlooked
Kenagy G. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.
- A Transgender Therapy Primer
Vásquez E. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.
- Challenges of the Young and Transgender: A physician describes a population near and dear to his heart
Green K. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.
- Transgender Therapy and HIV: Two complicated conditions rolled into one
Hickey D. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.
- Policing Gender and Sexuality: Transgender sex workers, HIV, and justice
Vásquez E. Positively Aware . July/August 2008.